Is there anything more frustrating than a leader who won’t or can’t lead? It has to be right up there on the scale of things that drive people crazy. You have probably known a few people like that in your lifetime…you know, the people that have no desire to be there and are just waiting for happy hour.
Not sure why people who hate to lead take positions of leadership, but they do every day. It is probably for the status or the money…or both. The sad truth is that they are not doing anyone (including themselves) a favor.
Signs you are a poor leader:
- You won’t make decisions in a timely fashion.
- You expect everyone to kiss your ring as they pass you.
- You don’t take responsibility for your own decisions.
- You refuse to give credit to those that work with you.
- You don’t know what the mission statement is.
- You don’t have a clear vision of where you or anyone else is going.
- You make excuses and deflect blame which you KNOW is ultimately yours.
- You don’t value those that support you on the front lines.
- You put your needs first and foremost.
- You neither know nor recognize your own limitations.
If this describes YOU, please do EVERYONE a favor and get out of the way! There is a Proverb that says, “For lack of vision, the people perish.” Don’t let that be your legacy.