I heard a sermon recently and the pastor was talking about our attitude. He said, “Attitude is one of the main keys to unlocking joy in your life.” I believe he hit the nail on the head with that one. It has been said that “Attitude determines altitude.” I like that as well. Too many of us allow negative attitudes to limit how high, how fast, or how far we will go.
Why do we give negative attitudes the power to rule us? Our attitude matters. Somehow we have managed to lose sight of that.
Here are a few things I have learned about attitude that may affect yours in a positive way:
- Learning to be grateful is one of the most powerful attitudes you can develop. When you learn to be truly grateful for what you have, no matter how great or how small or how difficult, you have learned the secret to being content.
- Comparing ourselves to others is a losing battle. There will always be someone who has more than you. You don’t know what they had to sacrifice to get what they have, and yet you want what they have and you want it now. Develop an attitude of, “I am going to work my tail off to get what I want.” Don’t expect it to happen overnight. Hard work will pay off if you learn to persevere.
- Little things matter when it comes to attitude. Say “Thank you.” Say “Please.” Say “I love you.” Say, “I am sorry. Will you forgive me?” Compliment others and mean it! Do those little things consistently and it will put you on a positive path every day.
- Take control of your attitude or it will control you.
- Attitudes are habitual. Why not be habitually happy instead of bitter, resentful, remorseful, and angry? It is your choice.
Determine today to change your attitude regardless of what it is, and make it better. You can go places that you never dreamed possible if you do.