Have you noticed that some people seem to always thrive in life, no matter what they do, and some people just survive, no matter what they do? The secret is that it DOES matter what they do. It goes back even deeper, it matters what they THINK.
There is an old quote that says, “If you think you can, you can. If you think you can’t, you can’t. Either way you are right.” What we say to ourselves has great power over what we end up doing with our lives.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to just survive. I don’t want to just get by. I want to soar like an eagle. I want to break new records. I want to go where no man has gone before. Ok, ok…I sound like an actor on Star Trek. But seriously, how big is your dream?
Somewhere along the road in life our dreams got squashed. We put our dreams aside to provide for our family, to get our education, to pay the bills. But is that the way it has to be? I don’t think so…in fact, I know so. Here are some tips to moving drive from survive to thrive:
- Realize that it all starts with what you believe. As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
- If you are in survival mode, ask yourself this question, “What do I need to change to get out of this rut?” Chances are you did not get in the rut overnight. You may have been there a long time. But be willing to change what you are thinking as well as what you are doing. If nothing changes, nothing changes.
- If you are hitting a wall and can’t seem to figure out what direction to go, get some help. Ask successful people for advice. Don’t get advice from people who are less successful than you are.
- Surround yourself with people who are positive about life and are truth tellers. You don’t need “yes men” when you are trying to change the course of your life.
- People who thrive are focused on their dream. Do what you have to do to focus. Eliminate unnecessary distractions. Allow yourself time to think and time to dream again.
- Challenge your thinking by associating with someone who is a visionary. They need to think bigger than you do for you to be challenged. Find them and learn the magic of thinking big. Too often we limit ourselves to what we can physically see, touch, or feel. Don’t trust that alone. Allow yourself to think outside the comfort zone.
- Once you challenge your thinking, be willing to step OUTSIDE your comfort zone. Do things that stretch you as a person and as a professional. If you fear public speaking, take a speaking assignment. If you are afraid of delegating to others, force yourself to delegate and empower people. Face what you fear. Greatness is outside of the comfort zone.
- Find that thing to do in life that you would do even if you had to do it for free. That is magical and transforms us. It is like an engine that is running on all cylinders and has great horse power because it is finely tuned. If you don’t find your passion, you will never find your dream.
I hope that you drive from survive to thrive. The time we have on this earth is very short. Don’t waste it doing something you hate. Don’t settle for a paycheck. Find your dream! Be a world changer!