What would you say if I told you I could tell you your net worth without looking at your financials? I don’t have a crystal ball and I am not clairvoyant, but I can still tell you your net worth without seeing your checkbook or financial statements. You see, your worth actually has nothing to do with your money. It has nothing to do with how much you own, what you are invested in, where you live, or your job title. Your bottom line has nothing to do with things.
I saw a powerful video the other day about worth. This guy held up a $20 bill and asked if you wanted it. Of course you do, right? Then he said, “What if I told you this bill was involved in buying illegal drugs, or to buy sex, or used to fund terrorism? Would you still want it?” Well, you may detest how it was used, but of course you would still want it. The value of that $20 bill had nothing to do with how it was used or abused. It still had value because it was underwritten by the United States government. (I realize that value is debatable….but you get the point).
So if a $20 bill has inherent value, what about us? Well, I believe that everybody on this planet has value. What they do with it….use it correctly or abuse it…it up to them. Being a Christian, I know that not everyone who reads this will agree with me, but I can point out a few verses (out of hundreds) from the Bible that supports what I am saying:
- Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” We are made in God’s image and he gave us dominion over the world.
- Ephesians 1:5 “He predestined us for adoption to son-ship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will.” If you have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, you are part of God’s family and you have an inheritance.
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” Would God sacrifice his only Son for something worthless? Of course not.
- Romans 8:38 “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow – not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” That verse alone should give you great hope and confidence in knowing “Who’s your Daddy?”
- Deuteronomy 28:13 “The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.” We have been created with purpose, on purpose, and for purposes that glorify God and draw men to Him.
At this time of year when we celebrate Christmas, please don’t forget what the celebration is truly about. As much as I love giving and receiving presents, Christmas is much more important than the temporal things we seek and celebrate. The birth of Jesus was the best present ever given to man. We have worth because God declared it and Jesus shared it. I pray that you and your family have a blessed holiday season…and don’t forget the bottom line: You have worth because of God’s love.