That title may remind you of the lyrics from the theme song of the rock group The Who. It drives home the gnawing question we all have to unlock for ourselves. Who are we, and what are we supposed to do with our lives?
I was at a men’s conference where we were challenged on a multitude of levels to think differently, and it begins with knowing who we are. I was talking to a man that I met there and he admitted to me that he was unhappy doing what he was doing for a living. When I asked him what he REALLY wanted to do, he had some difficulty defining it. I realize it is easier said than done, but I told him that he had to figure out what he was really passionate about and do that. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he was processing it and trying to figure it out.
We all go through periods where we wonder who we are, what we should be doing, and how we should do it. Some people figure it out early in life and others never figure it out. Here are some noteworthy quotes from a couple of the speakers we heard at the seminar.
- “We all want to kill giants as long as they look like dwarves. We think if God wants something for us He will bring it to us rather than through us. We have to go through great battles to achieve greatness.”
- “Going through pain is part of the process.”
- “Stop running from your future, lean into it.”
- “Don’t aspire to be just great. Aspire to serve all. Fame is what you do for yourself. Greatness is what you do for others.”
- “It doesn’t matter what anyone else does. I need to be the greatest version of me the world has seen.” Erwin McManus
- “God did not give us a spirit of fear, yet half of us are afraid of losing our jobs. The other half are afraid they will keep them.”
- “When a puppy messes in the house, you don’t love it any less. God does not love us any less when we mess up. We all make mistakes.”
- “We don’t need people to hold us accountable and judge us. We need people to embrace us and encourage us. Don’t run away from people who mess up. Run TO them. Embrace them.”
- “Do you know what you want to do? Activity does not equal productivity. Do the things that last. Challenge the boundaries.”
- “It is easy to get a couple of degrees off course on your journey. That small mistake can make you miss your destination totally. Know where your true North is, and stay focused. Life is full of distractions.”
- “Life is like flying a helicopter. You have to make a thousand movements the size of a quarter to stay on course.”
- “Live your life so that you live life constantly and intentionally surprised, not fearful.” Bob Goff