I don’t know how it is for you, but one of the most frustrating times in life is when God is silent…when He is not hearing the cries of my heart. Where is He? Why is He not giving me the answers I so desperately need? Sound familiar? Am I the only one on this planet that feels this way? I don’t think so. It seems strange to me that sometimes I can hear God so clearly, and then sometimes it seems God is on vacation. It is like He is out of touch, like His cell phone is not receiving calls.
Well, we try to look at this logically. There can be two explanations to this, right? One is, God is being silent. The other is, God is speaking, and I am not hearing. Makes sense at first glance, but there is a problem with this logic.
Let’s look at God being silent. Why would He choose to be silent? Why would He not talk back to us? Isn’t that rude? Would God be rude? Is that even possible? Is that in His nature? I don’t think so. God loves us and when we are crying out to Him, He, as our loving Heavenly Father is going to respond. He is speaking to us even when He is silent! Wow…that is pretty deep. How in the world can God speak when He is silent? It is because He only appears to be silent. He IS speaking, the problem is with us.
God speaks to us in a variety of ways, and I think He is continually speaking to us.
- God speaks through the Bible, His inspired Word.
- He speaks to us through that “still small voice” that we sense in our spirit.
- He speaks to us though people….spouses, family, friends, neighbors, politicians, news casters, bloggers, strangers, and preachers.
- He speaks to us through angels.
- He speaks thorough nature.
- Sometimes He even comes to us in dreams and visions.
OK, so the logical question is, if God IS speaking, and if He is continually speaking to us through a multitude of ways, why can’t we hear Him? How could we possibly miss hearing Him? Well, I don’t have all the answers here, but I can speak personally why I have missed hearing God from time to time.
- Sometimes I don’t hear God because I don’t take time to listen. I am so busy with life that I don’t get quiet long enough to hear Him. I am so busy giving Him my wish list that I don’t hear His replies.
- Sometimes I don’t hear because there is sin in my life, and sin separates us from Him. Until we deal with the sin, there is a communication problem.
- Sometimes it is hearing, but not receiving it because of lack of faith or my own stubbornness. Haven’t you experienced times when God was speaking but you could not get yourself to accept the answer?
- Sometimes I realize that I have not even taken the time to read the Bible when I am seeking answers…and that is His instruction manual to us.
When you feel like you are in the wilderness and seeking God with all your heart, don’t lose hope. God is there and He IS speaking to you. Ask Him to help you understand what He is saying. We just have to dial in to His frequency. His broadcast is 24/7. You may “feel” like you are all alone, but with God…you are never alone. He is always present. He is always listening, and He is always communicating His perfect love to you and to me. I don’t know about you, but that gives me hope.
Lord, help me hear you clearly today. If there is anything standing between you and me, I ask that you remove it. Help me to hear what you are saying and not to miss it. Restore any communication lines that have been broken. I thank you for your love. I praise you for who you are. I love you and look forward to seeing what you have in store for us today. Thank you for not being silent. In Jesus’ name, amen.