Perhaps you have heard of this famous school. Maybe you have a degree, or even multiple degrees from here….The School of Hard Knocks University.
I hate to admit it, but I have multiple degrees from this school. Failure is a powerful teacher. Failure brings clarity because it usually brings pain, embarrassment, financial setbacks, and a host of other bad things.
What I have learned from attaining my degrees:
- When God says, “No,” it was because he loves me and wants the best for me. When I proceeded forward in my own way, it never had positive results.
- When Mom and Dad said, “No,” it was not to keep me from having fun. They probably had made many of the same mistakes that I was contemplating making, and were just sparing me the pain and consequences. They also had the common sense that I was often lacking.
- When you have a “gut check” about doing something that might be wrong, listen! Pay attention to the red flags that are waving in front of you. When you ignore the warning signs, you will suffer.
- If you have a “gut check” about doing something, consult with someone who is not emotionally attached to the decision…someone who has wisdom and common sense.
- My wife told me one day that people are free to choose to do what they want to do, they just don’t get to choose the consequences. If we considered what the consequences “could” be, we might be less prone to jumping blindly off the bridge. Some consequences last a lifetime, and some are fatal.
- Don’t let your pride get in the way of learning. Nobody has all the answers. Pride is the enemy of learning. Stay humble. You can humble yourself, or someone else will humble you. Your choice.
A few years ago, a grown man asked me, “Why do I have to learn everything the hard way?” I understood his pain and felt for him. The truth is, we don’t have to have multiple degrees from SHK University. I will give you a clue about how to avoid multiple degrees. Learn the lesson the first time. If you don’t, you don’t fail, you just get to keep taking the course over and over again till you pass.
Here is to learning the lesson the first time.