Have you ever found yourself fretting over little things? Well, if you are human, there have been times in your life where you have worried over things that in hindsight did not matter. How do you break that cycle of worrying over little things?
- First, you have to recognize and admit that worry does no good. If you can do something about what worries you, do it. If it is out of your control, pray about it. In fact, pray about it either way and change it if you can.
- Learn to let it go. Keeping yourself stirred up is not a healthy way to live. Let go of the small stuff. Ask yourself, “What is the worst thing that could happen here?” The reality is that we tend to blow things out of proportion and expect things that will never happen. Learn to expect good things to happen regardless of what you see happening and how you feel. That is the essence of faith.
- The life we live is short. Don’t waste it worrying about the “what ifs” that will never come to be.
- Evaluate what really matters to you. For me, it is my faith in God, my family, my friends, and my career….in that order. The times I get out of whack are usually when I get those priorities out of order. Never allow your job to dictate your happiness because it cannot give you that. You job should not define who you are. It is what you do, not who you are. When you put your work before God, your family, or your friends, you will be setting yourself up for a bitter pill to swallow.
- Mind what matters. Pay attention to those things that have true value. Nurture your relationships. Those are the things that really matter. Honor God first and foremost, then realize we are responsible for those people that God puts in our pathway each day…to be loving, kind, encouraging, and respectful to them. That can be challenging if you are dealing with someone who is having a bad day and they are determined to have you share their grief! If you have kids, you know what I am talking about. Love them anyway. Be kind to them anyway. Encourage them anyway. Respect them anyway. Remember that love is the only thing that can melt a heart of stone.
I hope that you will let go of the little things that are bugging you and mind what matters.