“Leaders put feet to their faith.” Dan Skognes
If you ask a hundred people what makes a great leader, you will probably get a hundred different answers. However, if you ask them if these are the qualities of a great leader, I think most people would respond in the affirmative. Of course, this is not an all-inclusive list, but it does have some of the major qualities that all great leaders share:
- Great leaders have the ability to listen to all sides before making a decision.
- They engage with those who are in their presence and are willing to make the decision no matter how hard it might be.
- They adjust to circumstances regardless of how bleak or how good they might appear.
- They deliver on their promises, realizing that their word is sacred and means everything to those that follow them.
- They empathize with those who follow them, knowing that the decisions they make will affect not just them, but all those around them.
- They rebound from all the hurt, pain, defeats, and stress that they encounter.
- They serve all and stay focused on the goal.
Great leaders are few and far between; that is why we need them so desperately and why they stand out when they do surface. People long for someone that they can believe in to lead them. They come in all shapes, sizes, and nationalities. They are both male and female.
Do you know any great leaders? What do YOU think makes them great?