Let’s face it, most people don’t like conflict. In fact, some people will literally run from it. But you know what? Conflict is not only a necessary part of life, it is GOOD for you! Conflict brings clarity like nothing else can.
Managing conflict is possible if you keep these points in mind:
- The conflict you are experiencing can bring you positive results. You may have to let that sink in, but good can and will come out of it if you allow it to.
- Conflict is not something we can avoid in life. We will face conflict in many forms every day. Some of it will come from other people, some from the circumstances we face, and some from our own mind. So, expect it one way or the other and be prepared to respond vs react.
- How does conflict bring clarity? It brings to mind solutions that otherwise might never cross your mind. The greater the conflict, the greater the clarity. Of course, everyone has their limits and everyone can be overcome at some point…but that point is much further than most of us like to admit. We are uniquely created to endure, adapt, and create solutions to incredible obstacles.
- Conflict is not the source of stress. How you react to it is the source of stress. Some people will look at the same conflict and be invigorated and energized. What is the difference? The mindset, the attitude, and the determination to overcome. You can become the victim or the victor. That is up to you, regardless of the conflict.
- Keep in mind that most conflicts are not for life. They are for a season. Everyone can fight the bear for a while.
If you are in a season of conflict, don’t give up. Don’t despair. Don’t quit. Learn the lessons, find solutions, and endure. The strength you will find from having endured will not only carry you further, it will encourage others who are watching how you respond. And trust me, someone is always watching.