I am writing to you to give you some advice from the future. I thought it might help you to make wiser decisions if you actually heard it from me! Here are a few things to remember about life:
- Everything that seems to be a big deal isn’t. Problems often are blown out of proportion when you are really tired or you have several problems to deal with at once. Get proper rest and exercise before making any important decision.
- Just because something is urgent does not mean it is a priority. Be careful not to let other people lure you into their problems. MYOB and let them mind theirs. You will have your hands full just dealing with your own issues.
- Don’t compromise your morals or standards. Walk what you talk. Let your word be worthy of who you ought to be.
- Love God, love people, and use things. Don’t get that confused.
- Figure out early in life what you want to be. You will be old before you know it and you don’t want to waste precious time going down dead-end streets.
- Be careful who you hang with. This applies to your entire life journey. Evil company corrupts.
- Stay humble. Humble pie is tough to swallow.
- Remember that you can’t change anyone else. You have no control over anyone, so don’t even try. You worry about you.
- Learn to love freely and generously. Nobody is perfect and everyone needs to be loved and accepted.
- Travel every chance you get. The world is an incredible place and traveling is one of the best educations you will get about other people and their culture.
- Stay in touch with friends and family. It is easy to get sidetracked. Everyone is busy. If you want friends and family to be an important part of your life, stay in touch with them.
- Forgive everyone for everything. That includes forgiving yourself. Guilt, shame, anger, and blame are too heavy for anyone to carry. Let them go.
- Get at least two dogs. I found out late in life how cool it was to have more than one pet. They will give you great comfort and joy on the dark days you face.
- Never take your health for granted. You have one life to live. Live it wisely.
- Don’t take advice from losers. If you do, you will never find peace or contentment.
- Never quit learning. Read, read, read.
- Learn to be grateful for all you have and in all circumstances. An attitude of gratitude will help you sleep at night.
- Serve your wife every day. Let her know how much you love her, need her, and cherish her.
- Last but not least, listen to your Mom and Dad. They do know what they are talking about.
Happy living, Daniel.